Steam Boiler Maintenance and Repair
Ambrose Mechanical maintains, repairs, and services steam boilers of all makes, models, and sizes
A boiler is not just a boiler, especially when it's a steam boiler
The biggest thing that makes steam boilers different is the amount of energy a steam boiler uses. Steam boilers use the most energy, needing 25% more to run efficiently.
A steam boiler must burn more fuel to raise the temperature of its water to the boiling point and convert it to superheated steam. Converting water into steam in the boiler efficiently and then converting it back to water by removing heat efficiently in the steam radiation is vital to conserve energy dollars and increase the life of all system components.
The Most Common Problems with Steam Boiler Systems:
- No heat
- It's not enough just to heat the water; it must be converted to steam.
- Failure to raise a head of steam will result in no heat at all.
- Not enough heat
- Problems with burner input
- Water surging resulting in burner short cycling
- Failure of steam traps
- Water level is frequently low
- Failing water level controls
- Improper condensate return causing fresh water to be introduced
- Pipes are noisy
- Water accumulation in piping coming in contact with steam
- Radiator leaks
- Loss of steam and hot condensate is a loss of energy dollars
- Radiator won't heat
- Steam supply or steam trap problems
Freshwater being introduced into a steam system will result in a rapid deterioration of all system components. A water meter that is monitored for consumption is a must on all steam boiler systems.
The proper operation of steam traps is also crucial to efficient system operation. Most manufacturers recommend a check of steam trap operation annually and replacement in as little as three years.
Low water safety controls must be serviced regularly to ensure safe operation and prevent the possibiliyu of dangerous situations which can include a boiler explosion.
Let Dan and his team at Ambrose Mechanical Services service and maintain your steam boiler system. Just like any boiler system, without proper maintenance, there could be harmful and even life-threatening consequences.
Call today: (585) 663-7826